18 Blogs Exploring Methods for Teaching State Capitals to Kids
From doing puzzles to singing songs, there are plenty of fun ways you can help your kids learn and memorize all of the state capitals. When you help your kids learn the state capitals while they are young, recalling them for school purposes later will be second nature. Check out these 18 blog posts that are full of creative ways to help kids learn the capital of each state.
Many of the toys that pertain to the states and their capitals are map and puzzle related, but there are card games and flash cards that can be fun for kids too. Whether you use a map the size of an 8×10 picture frame or a foam one that is as big as a throw rug, kids will enjoy themselves while simultaneously learning the capitals. These six blog entries will give you some ideas for toys that will teach him about states and capitals.
- Teaching Kids the States and Capitals Kids can learn the states, their capitals and their location while playing with a map puzzle.
- The Scrambled States of America Game—Deluxe Edition Kids Product Review Learn all about this game from people who have played it.
- Educational Toys for Students Younger students can play with this giant foam map without fear of messing it up.
- Trend—States & Capitals These flash cards work in any setting, so throw them in your purse and work on capitals while you are waiting for something or are traveling in the car.
- Learning and Educational Toys Brightly colored toys help keep kids’ attention focused, and kids as young as three can use these toys to learn about geography.
- The Scrambled States of America Learn how this game is played and why it’s so fun for the kids.
Phones and tablets have become more like personal computers, and there truly is an app for just about everything. This includes apps that help kids learn their state capitals. The following six blog posts explore several different apps you can use to help your kids remember their capitals.
- 7 Essential Apps for Grade School Students Stack the States is an animated app that will make the kids laugh while they learn.
- Top iPad Apps to Teach Kids US Geography Nifty Fifty and 50 States with Flat Stanleyare two of the apps described in this article.
- Apps That May be Worth Your Children’s Time Stack the Countries and Stack the Statesare discussed on this blog entry.
- The U.S. States and Capitals App [Know Your Geography] iPhone This game, while less animated than some of the others, gives you plenty of facts about each state.
- 22 History and Geography iPad Apps for Kids Learn the States is just one of several geography apps that are explained on this list.
- 7 Best iPhone, iPod Touch Apps for Students Stack the States is explained on this blog post.
Associating one thing with another is a common memorization tactic more often known as a mnemonic device. To employ this learning tactic with your kids, take a look at these six blog articles, which feature various mnemonic devices that help with state capital memorization.
- Mnemonic Devices This blogger gives a few clever examples of mnemonic devices for states and their capitals to help you get started.
- The Best Song Ever About State Capitals (Watch) Check out this video; it’s not only funny, but it just may help your kids remember the capitals.
- The Little Man in the Map Read this review of the book that helps kids learn the location of states and other valuable information.
- ‘Mnemonic’ for Midwest States and Capitals This list of mnemonic devices for the capitals of the Midwest states will help your child get a jump start on memorizing capitals.
- Memorization Watch the Animaniacs video or use one of the other techniques listed on this blog post to remember different state capitals.
- Use Images to Memorize State Capitals According to this blogger, the brain can remember images more easily than words, so the idea is to create images that remind you of the capitals.This article was originally posted by the wonderful people at Live-Out Nanny.